Jimmy Christopher, along with his father, ex-Operator Q-6 and his faithful sidekick, Timmy Donovan, must seek and destroy an invisible air-borne fortress aiming to destroy the United States, and bring the entire country into the control of the Yellow Empire.
The Atlantis has not touched ground since it took to the skies over a month earlier. Sailing high amidst the earth's stratosphere, it has ripped planes from the sky, and sent poisoned gases to the ground, wiping out American citizens below. Can Operator 5 save the President's son from a chilling demise? Will he find this frozen fortress and end the havoc it seeks to spread?
In Curtis Steele's second Operator 5 adventure, all of America is hoping that one man can save the nation from the ravaging hordes of destruction.
It was a thick oily mass, spreading rapidly through the air, reaching out trickling arms like a liquid; and from these arms cloudy mist melted down. The sign atop the Barnum Hotel became obscured. The sun was dimmed. A pungency sharpened the air in the streets as it began to take on a saffron tint.
The traffic officer at the busiest intersection of the city was the first to fall. He was raising his whistle to his lips and taking a deep breath when death struck him down. He sprawled on the car-tracks while screams sounded around him- screams he did not hear. For the faintest wisp of the yellowish gas-cloud had entered his lungs and destroyed him instantly.
Suddenly havoc swept the sidewalks. Like ten-pins struck by a gigantic, invisible ball, people collapsed on the sidewalks. Men and women toppled against plate-glass windows; cars clashed bumpers in the streets as the dead hands of the drivers fell from the wheels. A street-car ground to a stop as its conductor spilled away from his switchbox. Along Main Street and its branches Death stalked, invisibly, swinging his ruthless, sharp-bladed scythe.
Screams shrilled again. The atmosphere was thickening with the sweet pungency of the yellow fumes. Desperately and unreasoningly scores of people tried to escape it as those around them toppled. They pressed into doors and slammed them shut. And overhead again, two more dull explosions sounded, and thicker clouds of yellow sprang into the air.
The saffron arms reached into the open windows high in the office buildings. Stenographers dropped limp across their typewriters. Executives toppled out of their chairs. Others, terrorized, rushed to slam the windows shut, and sank from the sills, instantly killed.
Format: Electronic PDF File
First Published: 1934
All products are new condition unless noted otherwise.
Shipping is Only $8.95 PER ORDER for U.S. destinations.
Click here for more from Operator 5
More from Curtis Steele
- Available in Audio Compact Disc
- Audio Book: Operator 5: The Masked Invasion (Audio CDs)
- Available in Electronic PDF File
- Attack of the Blizzard Men
- Blood Reign of the Dictators
- Cavern of the Damned
- Invasion of the Dark Legions
- League of War Monsters
- Master of Broken Men
- Operator 5: Army of the Dead
- Operator 5: Legions of Starvation
- Operator 5: Legions of the Death Master
- Operator 5: Raiders of the Red Death
- Operator 5: The Masked Invasion
- Operator 5: The Suicide Battalion
- Operator 5: The Yellow Scourge
- Revolt of the Devil Men
- The Green Death Mists
- The Melting Death
- The Red Invaders
- War Masters of the Orient
- Available in Paperback
- Blood Reign of the Dictator
- Operator 5: Invasion of the Crimson Death Cult: Reprint
- Operator 5: Invasion of the Dark Legions
- Operator 5: Libertys Suicide Legions
- Operator 5: The Army of the Dead: Reprint
- Operator 5: Winged Hordes of the Yellow Vulture
- Revolt of the Devil Men
- Available in Pulp Replica
- Replica: Operator 5: Americas Plague Battalions: Dec 1936
- Replica: Operator 5: Army of the Dead ( March 1935 )
- Replica: Operator 5: Army Without a Country (Sept-Oct)
- Replica: Operator 5: Hosts of the Flaming Death: Aug 1935
- Replica: Operator 5: Invasion of the Crimson Death Cult: Sept. 1935
- Replica: Operator 5: League of War Monsters (Feb. 1935)
- Replica: Operator 5: March of the Flame Marauders: April 1935
- Replica: Operator 5: Rockets From Hell: Feb. 1936
- Replica: Operator 5: Scourge of the Invisible Death: Nov. 1935
- Replica: Operator 5: The Invisible Empire May 1934
- Replica: Operator 5: The Red Invaders (Jan. 1935)
- Replica: Operator 5: The Yellow Scourge June 1934
- Replica: Operator 5: War Masters From The Orient March 1936