Re-awakening the spirit of patriotism in the United States, Special Intelligence Agent, Jimmy Christopher and his young companion, Tim Donovan, demonstrate unparalleled pride in their mission. As America's strongest defenses--battleships, transportation systems, steelworks--are reduced to dust by a mysterious deadly corrosive, only Operator 5 can put an end to this brutal devastation, and prevent its potential for worldwide destruction! Facing a baffling and dangerous test, he must solve the riddle of this Dust of Doom.
Curtis Steele offers up another riveting, thrilling and blood-tingling exploit. Operator 5, is a cunning, clever and likable chap. Even in the face of imminent disaster, there is a spirit of camaraderie, family and support. With his father, the ex-Operator Q-6; and Timmy Donovan, the young lad who had saved Jimmy's life years ago, Operator 5 has a loyal team behind him. Intriguing evidence lies around every turn, but it will take a journey all the way to the House of Representatives before this melting mystery is solved.
Operator 5 whirled, staring up. The great spider-web of steel cables was torn and tattered as though giant claws had ripped across it! Thick strands were dropping from their moorings. The mass of vapor had thickened until the whole sky was obscured. On the concrete of the span and into the river a snow of brownish flakes was falling thickly. Along the whole length of the bridge traveled a violent tremor.
Resounding crashes echoed. Out of the span dropped huge sections of concrete. They plummeted down into the river, sending up roaring geysers. Beneath the bridge the thousands of boats were fleeing on turbulent waves. On the surface bobbed the wreckage of small craft crushed by the plunging tons of stone. Bodies were floating, men and women swimming desperately. The air shook with a thunderous rumbling, a cataclysmic roar that grew louder by the second.
"Get off the bridge! Get off before it goes to pieces!"
Even as he spoke a new roar broke out, and a gigantic section of the span crumbled away. Half the smoking suspension cables were already frayed, and the terrific dead weight of the bridge was ripping them asunder. The rest were sizzling while dusty flakes thickened in the air. Jimmy Christopher snatched at the microphone through which the governor had been speaking.
"Get off the bridge!" he shouted, and his magnified voice boomed the warning. "Everybody, all cars, off the bridge! Move fast_to save your lives!"
Format: Electronic PDF File
First Published: 1934
All products are new condition unless noted otherwise.
Shipping is Only $8.95 PER ORDER for U.S. destinations.
Click here for more from Operator 5
More from Curtis Steele
- Available in Audio Compact Disc
- Audio Book: Operator 5: The Masked Invasion (Audio CDs)
- Available in Electronic PDF File
- Attack of the Blizzard Men
- Blood Reign of the Dictators
- Cavern of the Damned
- Invasion of the Dark Legions
- League of War Monsters
- Master of Broken Men
- Operator 5: Army of the Dead
- Operator 5: Legions of Starvation
- Operator 5: Legions of the Death Master
- Operator 5: Raiders of the Red Death
- Operator 5: The Masked Invasion
- Operator 5: The Suicide Battalion
- Operator 5: The Yellow Scourge
- Revolt of the Devil Men
- The Green Death Mists
- The Invisible Empire
- The Red Invaders
- War Masters of the Orient
- Available in Paperback
- Blood Reign of the Dictator
- Operator 5: Invasion of the Crimson Death Cult: Reprint
- Operator 5: Invasion of the Dark Legions
- Operator 5: Libertys Suicide Legions
- Operator 5: The Army of the Dead: Reprint
- Operator 5: Winged Hordes of the Yellow Vulture
- Revolt of the Devil Men
- Available in Pulp Replica
- Replica: Operator 5: Americas Plague Battalions: Dec 1936
- Replica: Operator 5: Army of the Dead ( March 1935 )
- Replica: Operator 5: Army Without a Country (Sept-Oct)
- Replica: Operator 5: Hosts of the Flaming Death: Aug 1935
- Replica: Operator 5: Invasion of the Crimson Death Cult: Sept. 1935
- Replica: Operator 5: League of War Monsters (Feb. 1935)
- Replica: Operator 5: March of the Flame Marauders: April 1935
- Replica: Operator 5: Rockets From Hell: Feb. 1936
- Replica: Operator 5: Scourge of the Invisible Death: Nov. 1935
- Replica: Operator 5: The Invisible Empire May 1934
- Replica: Operator 5: The Red Invaders (Jan. 1935)
- Replica: Operator 5: The Yellow Scourge June 1934
- Replica: Operator 5: War Masters From The Orient March 1936