Philip K. Dick and What it Means to be Human
Philip K. Dick began his career writing short stories for magazines such as Amazing, Future, Galaxy, If, Imagination, and Science Fiction Stories. It was through the short story format that Dick was able to develop his unique story telling voice and his creative imagination.
His writing career included dozens novels, and hundreds of short stories, before his death in 1982. The best of his material is arguably some of the best science fiction ever written. With aspirations to reach the mainstream literary market, Philip K. Dick stories often take place in sci-fi settings but quickly expand to cover mainstream topics of politics, morality and ethics, history, horror, religion, mystery, and his grand theme of what it means to be human.
Philip K. Dick's popularity continues to grow in part due to the success of movie adaptations of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep re-titled Blade Runner, starring Harrison Ford in 1983 and the adaptation of his short story We Can Remember It Wholesale in the 1990 film Total Recall starring Arnold Schwarzenegger. Also, the 2002 film, Minority Report, was based on a 1956 Philip K. Dick short story with the same title.
Below, you will find a partial, and subjective list, of Philip K. Dick's best works. Each story shows a slightly different aspect of this great author and his body of work.
- The Man in the High Castle An alternate history, packed with political intrigue and social commentary, where Germany and Japan won WWII and America is now split in two. Hugo Award Winner!
- Martian Time-Slip Using the powers of a special child, a greedy buisness man hopes to see into the future and alter the past. When the cosmic dust settles and the accompaning horror that has been unleashed, is there cosmic justice?
- A Maze of Death A dozen people are sent to a far off colony. However, their instructions are destroyed, there is no means of escape, and slowing they are being murdered. A most mind boggling and creative mystery!
- Dr. Bloodmoney After nuclear war, the surviors must rebuild society. Its up to the common, everyday people, who become the real heroes, to accomplish the task.
- Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldricth When an outlaw drug kingpin decides to turn to murder to stop a competitor is it because of simple greed or does he know the sinister truth and ultimate danger behind this new "drug".
- UBIK When the line between life and the afterlife becomes blurred so to does our perception of reality.
- Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep The question begins.. what does it mean to be human? The novel which began the dark, hard-boiled Blade Runner series.
- Time Out of Joint The classic novel of reality displacement and selected by David Pringle as one of the 100 Best Science Fiction Novels.
Complete List of Philip K. Dick Books in Stock
Product Format: Paperback
|Collected Stories Volume 2||by Philip K. Dick|
|Collected Stories Volume 5||by Philip K. Dick|
|Dr. Bloodmoney||by Philip K. Dick|
|Martian Time-Slip||by Philip K. Dick|
|The Man In The High Castle||by Philip K. Dick|
|The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch||by Philip K. Dick|
|Time Out of Joint||by Philip K. Dick|
|UBIK||by Philip K. Dick|
Product Format: Used Paperback
|Collected Stories Volume 4||by Philip K. Dick|
|The Penultimate Truth||by Philip K. Dick|